Engineer in Training - Automation
North West Redwater Partnership
Calgary, Alberta, CA
|Date Posted||Jun 04, 2013|
|Profession||Engineering and Technical|
|Experience Level(s)||Junior, New Graduate|
|Job Type(s)||Permanent, Full Time|
|Education Level(s)||University - Bachelors|
The position is developmental and is suitable for a graduate or engineer in training with demonstrated aptitude and interest in pursuing a career in instrumentation and control.
Through the detailed design phase, the successful candidate will be provided exposure and development across various refinery units and shadow and work with the Resident Silo Engineers and take on increasingly responsible assignments.
Subsequently, time will be required at Redwater site through the construction and commissioning phases.
While the refinery support organization has not yet been fully defined, the successful candidate will be expected to make a commitment to transfer to Redwater as the site Automation Engineer.
A Personal Development Plan will be tailored to the successful candidate and cover:
- Refinery Processes
- Information technology and networks
- Electrical, materials and equipment knowledge
- Deliverables, documentation and processes
- Roles/relationships between contractors, suppliers and MAC
- Scope, budgeting, packages and criticality/class concepts
- Standards, specifications, typicals and templates
Automation skills, to include but not limited to:
- Process measurement
- Installation practices
- Process dynamics and control
- Control Systems
- Sub systems (PLCs, SCADA, BMS, Equipment monitoring and control etc.)
- Human Factors Engineering
- Process analyzers and regulatory aspects
- Instrumented Protective Functions and Systems
- Risk assessment and validation
- Alarm management
Assignments will be agreed with the Resident Silo Engineers and will be progressively challenging. Progression and performance assessments will be conducted quarterly.
- Minimum Bachelor Degree in Engineering;
- Graduate or Junior Engineer (less than 5 years’ experience);
- Is or is eligible to become a Registered Professional Engineer in the province of Alberta;
- Proficiency in the use of computer programs, word processing, databases, Excel, e-mail and the internet to the intermediate/advanced level (capable of using a large number of functions and feels confident using the programs);
- Able to demonstrate either through academic courses or intern/summer student experiences or work experience a commitment and aptitude to pursue a career in automation;
- Strong time management skills coupled with the ability to show initiative and be results oriented;
- Builds effective interpersonal relationships in a positive and productive team-oriented environment with vendors and engineering contractors;
- Demonstrates good judgment in problem solving and timely decision-making;
- Maintains a professional approach to dealing with NWU staff, vendors and engineering contractors;
- Must be a team player: willing to continuously and proactively collaborate, challenge, share, and seek information and guidance;
- Must have strong investigative skills and an ability to ask questions to draw out required information.
|Applications are being accepted until June 30, 2013
< < Back